Sunday, January 12, 2014
A friend gave me these awesome ornaments last week. Aren’t they… awesome? The only complaint I have is that the Family Truckster should have “honky lips” spray painted on the side.
I'm looking forward to putting these on my tree in twelve months, give or take.
Monday, January 6, 2014
It’s the warmest time of year
Your Christmas whiskey means good cheer
A woozy smile from ear to ear when
Your Christmas whiskey time is here
- The Minus Five, "Your Christmas Whiskey"
One of my contributions to the family’s Christmas dinner was to supply the booze. This year I gave something new a try: Yukon Jack Jacapple. With it’s blend of spice and apples, it was a Canadian whiskey everyone - young, old, male, female - enjoyed. For real. I wouldn’t drink it every day, but for the holidays it seemed right.
I also brought a case of Magic Hat. I’m not saying that I chose that particular beer because their G-Thing ale was exclusive to their winter packs, but I’m not not saying that, either. It, too, wouldn’t be my regular thing, but the gingerbread beer was a nice Yuletide treat.
Tuesday, December 31, 2013
Well, we're winding down 2013 and I'm *finally* putting this year's edition of A Very Micah Christmas up. Too late? Maybe. But Epiphany isn't until January 6th, so you still have a few days of guilt-free enjoyment.
I put all of the songs into a Spotify playlist - well, all that were available on the service - and you can stream it below:
But that's only part of the story. The full experience includes the following songs:
1. "Flannel Sheets" - Good Night, States
2. "Silent Night" - Nick Lowe
3. "Twinkle (Little Christmas Lights)" - JD McPherson
4. "(Don't Call Me) Mrs. Christmas" - Emmy the Great & Tim Wheeler
5. "Underneath the Tree" - Kelly Clarkson
6. "She Wants It All" - Jumbled
7. "Deck the Halls" - 11 Acorn Lane
8. "Christmas at the Ale House" - The Irish Rovers
9. "You'll Never Find My Christmas" - Bishop Allen
10. "Breaking the Ice" - Samantha Crain
11. "Krampus" - Houndmouth
12. "Go Tell It on the Mountain" - Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors
13. "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" - Colorfair
14. "We Three Kings" - Mark Lanegan
15. "Sugar Cookie" - Sugar & The Hi-Lows
16. "Baby, It's Cold Outside" - Lyle Lovett with Kat Edmonson
17. "Blink Before Christmas" - Phil Moore & The Phil Moore Four
18. "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" - Leigh-Ann Eshleman
19. "Angels We Have Heard on High" - Beta Radio
20. "Can I Interest You in Hanukkah?" - Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart
21. "A Winter Romance" - Dean Martin
22. "Winter Wonderland" - Louis Armstrong
23. "The Christmas Song" - Frank Sinatra
24. "Merry Christmas from Scotland (Lulled with a Stiff Drink)" - Laurie Cameron
25. "Joy" - Tracey Thorn
26. "That Leaf Sure Is Heavy, But You Have to Turn It Over" - Listener & Dust
You can snag them all here. Happy listening!
Monday, December 30, 2013
Friday, December 27, 2013
Wednesday, December 25, 2013
Tuesday, December 24, 2013
So, the other day while I was continuing my heroic intake of holiday movies, it occurred to me: Alan Rickman has starred in two absolute Christmas classics. That's a stunning achievement unmatched by anyone else. Therefore, I have crowned him the King of Christmas Movies.
I even made these pictures to commemorate his coronation.
Monday, December 23, 2013
I found this during my Christmas music search last night. Maybe it's the subdued nature of this cover. Maybe it's her removing the Betty Boopness that's plagued every modern version of the song. (Thanks a lot, Madonna.) Maybe it's just because I find her very cute. But I'm really digging Daniela Andrade's version of "Santa Baby."
I think I'm going to buy it today. You can get it here.
Sunday, December 22, 2013
For the last few weeks I've been swept up in holiday activities and getting my own Christmas mix out into the world, so I've really slacked off on keeping up with the flood of free, new music online. So for a couple of hours now I've been combing through Noisetrade, Santas Working Overtime, and Stubby's House of Christmas. (And I still have a few more blogs to check up with!) Boy, is there a lot that I've missed. But that just means I'll be ready for next year's mix.
Anyway, I felt compelled to post this song I came across by AKW, "Christmas Will Be Cold Without You." What a wonderful little downer of a holiday song! I know absolutely nothing about this band, but I'm really digging their tune. And it's FREE! So download it and go cry in your eggnog, you hipster.
Saturday, December 21, 2013
Friday, December 20, 2013
Thursday, December 19, 2013
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
This afternoon calls for a not-really-a-Christmas-song-at-all Christmas song. Yep, that's a pretty haunting choral version of "O Holy Night" that Salem samples here. Spooky!
(I've been tempted to put this on my annual Christmas mix for years, but always chicken out. It'd probably be better suited for my Halloween mix.)